29 January 2010

School blues #01: When things go wrong as they sometimes will ...



Today, 28th of January, is Gab's (10 y.o. son) first day at a new school. He is in Year 5. He was accepted into an Opportunity Class program for 'gifted' kids.

It is also his first time to ride a bus to and from school. In previous years, Gab was ferried to and from school.

Mum: "I will take you to the bus stop and board you into the right bus. Then I will drive to your school and meet you there. In the afternoon, the same thing will happen. I will be at school to take you to your bus, and I will meet you again at the bus stop near our home. Easy. Remember, that you've done your dry-run with Dad in the previous weeks. So everything will be alright." (This was me trying to calm myself aloud ...) "Besides there will be other kids in the bus with you, so just follow them ..."

Gab: "But mum, what if you aren't there when I reach school?"

Mum: "I will be there, Gab. If not, wait for me inside the gate ..."

We waited 10 minutes for the bus to arrive. And in those 10 minutes, our anxiety built up. Gab even commented - "I should have failed that OC test, Mum, had I known that I had to take a bus to school". Shock, horror! "Don't ever say that again, Gabriel. You'll be fine!"

As soon as Gab safely boarded his bus, I scampered away to try to out-drive the bus to school. What I didn't know was, the bus took a shorter route than I did. But, of course! My sense of direction is horrendous, after all.

First myth - "I will be there before you". I wasn't! When I arrived at school, all parking spots were taken. I had to park way way away from the school. Every other parent was, I think, present on their kid's first day at school!

Second myth - 'There will be other school children in the bus.' Wrong ... there were only two of them!



I only saw Gab from a distance inside the school hall with the entire school of 200+ children. I waved my hand vigorously to make sure he saw me. I had to make him see me, that I was there for him ... albeit very late! He waved back, I sighed with relief. I was already imagining the recriminations I was sure to get after school.

I went home, totally drained.

In the afternoon, I went back to the school a good 30 minutes before the bell rang. I made sure that I parked right across the gate so that I will beat the bus in going home.

Gab had a small smile on his face when he saw me. I was choked with happiness.

"Mum, I have a new friend. His name is Lance. He is also Pinoy. There are lots of Filipino kids in my class ..."

I was forgiven. Or perhaps this drama was just something I imagined in my head. My son was oblivious to my turmoil this morning.

Needless to say, I beat the bus to the stop near our home by just a few seconds. This time there were two girls from Gab's school who crossed the road with him. I told him to stick with the two girls all the time! (Did I just say that???)

All's well that ends well.

Did I mention that Gab wore the wrong socks today? He wore grey. The school's socks are green. He didn't mind. I, on the other hand, was aghast. I went straight to Lowes only to find that the green socks had sold out!

Did I also mention that I met a wonderful Dad that afternoon? And other Mums with their girls who are on the same bus as Gab's ...we were all doing the same thing - 'bus practice'!


1 comment:

Miguel CArdenas said...

Ironbark Ridge is not a complicated school. I didn't find it hard xD

Milo

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fgloryboxtoo.blogspot.com.au%2F&send=false&layout=standard&width=450&show_faces=true&font&colorscheme=light&action=like&height=80&appId=194976510514496">