28 June 2010

Kids' Camp 101: Mums in panic mode!

My 10 year old is going away for the first time to a 2-night camp at Milson Island, Hawkesbury, this Wednesday.  His school sent home a list of recommended things to pack.  I kept one eye on that list and was confident that everything was in order.

The Sunday before the big day, we went through the list, and I gulped!  

"Gab, we have no insect repellant!  And your thermals (long johns) are still hanging in the laundry.  But we have to practice packing tonight so I have time to run to the shops for anything we missed."

"Ayayay, mum, you are panicking!"

Indeed I am.  

A week before, I told Gab that he must use his sleeping bag and practice folding it every morning.  I knew that this will be tricky.  It is essential that everything fits in his luggage so nothing is left behind.  Packing his sleeping bag turned out to be quite challenging for this kid.  I assumed that being our son (Mum and Dad hiked Philippine mountains in their youth), Gab will breeze through this.  Wrong. Alas, he complained about his fingers hurting, and how it is not easy to fit the sleeping bag into its bag ... (This mum had to find a bigger bag.)

It suddenly dawned on me how sheltered 2nd Generation migrant kids are.  They will never experience "isang kahig isang tuka" or "nabuhay lang kami sa utang buwan buwan".  Their lives are so far removed from our own experiences.  But I digress ...

As much as I worry, I actually relish the thought of Gab's time away.  It will teach him decision-making, looking after his things, and responsibility.

"Just make sure you take a shower everyday whether it is in the morning or at night.  And it is OK to re-use any of your clothes if you run out as long as it is not soiled.  I did pack enough spare clothing so ... I think you should also use your journal to record your thoughts at night.  And please remember to brush your teeth properly!"

"Ayayay, mum!"

I asked Gab what is he looking forward to the most?  His answer was: "Time away from Kuya!"

It seemed to him, that his older brother's mission in life is to annoy him everyday!





2 comments:

JS said...

Enjoy the motherhood, many more of axious moment to come. -from parent who has "been there & done that"

pink ranger said...

Hmm... Felt the same mode when rap had his kids village through cfc last year. It was a relief after two nights when i fetched him and re-assuringly hugged me that he was lost during the camp and was found again.

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fgloryboxtoo.blogspot.com.au%2F&send=false&layout=standard&width=450&show_faces=true&font&colorscheme=light&action=like&height=80&appId=194976510514496">